Life is a Bumpy Road

Austin, Texas. Travel in Texas. Life in General. "Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - - -Dylan Thomas

My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

I am an esteemed alumni of Austin College in Sherman Texas (Class of "none of your business"). I graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts as a History Major. Subsequently, I have worked in the human services field since graduation because there aren't too many jobs out there for history majors. Except for my short incarceration in Sherman, I have always lived in Austin, Texas. That's not totally true, I was born in England and lived there approximately 18 months, but for some strange reason I don't remember living there. I travel through out Texas for my job, every week. So beware Texans, I might be coming to a town near you!! I am happily married to a wonderful guy and have 0 (zero, zilch) children. (We just forgot to have them?) I find life amusing now (I used to find it extremely depressing but that's another story). So here's to Life, which after all can be a very bumpy road!

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." -Albert Einstein

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Dallas Traffic


I am in Dallas this week. I was in Dallas last week sort of, I was in Allen which is just north of Dallas. Dallas is very different from Austin. Sure it's much bigger, but the attitude of the people who live here is so very different too. Especially in traffic. People in Dallas are nice enough when you meet them face to face, but on the roadways, oh my! The nicest people suddenly become crazed maniacs when driving in Dallas. Even little old ladies are cut throat on the highways here. It's a dog eat dog world on the roads of Dallas.

Drivers in Dallas do NOT yield to other cars. Not to traffic coming off the highway, not to traffic merging on to the highway and DEFINATELY not to traffic trying to change lanes.

Drivers in Dallas do not use blinkers. Using a blinker is totally optional and if you are changing lanes on the highway, it's not a good idea. They will speed up to cut you off from changing lanes in front of them.

Drivers in Dallas do not use traffic lights. In Dallas, Green means go, yellow means go, and Red means go, with a suggestion, "You might want to stop now at this intersection."

Drivers in Dallas do not follow the car in front of them at a safe distance. Come rush hour, traffic on the highways is LITERALLY bumper to bumper. They stay right on your bumper and if you don't stay on the bumper of the car in front of you, well you get cut off by 6 or 7 cars changing lanes in front of you.

Drivers in Dallas change lanes in order to speed up. They jockey for better positioning on the highway by changing lanes frequently. If your lane starts to slow down, you just zip into the next lane until it slows down. Then you move on over again to a faster moving lane. And be sure NOT to use your blinker.

Once you get the hang of it, it's probably not that bad. My suggestion, if you really want to drive around Dallas, get out there around 3 am when there's very little traffic. You MIGHT be safer. Of course that's if you don't miss your turn and have to make a u turn in the wrong part of town. Good luck and Be Careful Out There!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
web site visitor counter
DVD Rental Sites