Life is a Bumpy Road

Austin, Texas. Travel in Texas. Life in General. "Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - - -Dylan Thomas

My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

I am an esteemed alumni of Austin College in Sherman Texas (Class of "none of your business"). I graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts as a History Major. Subsequently, I have worked in the human services field since graduation because there aren't too many jobs out there for history majors. Except for my short incarceration in Sherman, I have always lived in Austin, Texas. That's not totally true, I was born in England and lived there approximately 18 months, but for some strange reason I don't remember living there. I travel through out Texas for my job, every week. So beware Texans, I might be coming to a town near you!! I am happily married to a wonderful guy and have 0 (zero, zilch) children. (We just forgot to have them?) I find life amusing now (I used to find it extremely depressing but that's another story). So here's to Life, which after all can be a very bumpy road!

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." -Albert Einstein

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Patron Saint of Texas


All these years I've lived in Texas and I didn't know we had a patron saint (Of course that's not surprising since I'm not Catholic). I am not sure how a state selects it's patron saint. I mean is it by dictate from the Vatican or does the Legislature vote on it? The patron saint of Texas is Our Lady of Annunciation better known as the Blessed Virgin Mary. I did some research on Mary and it seems she's a pretty busy saint. According to the list i checked, (http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/indexsnt.htm), her patronage includes not only Texas, and the Archdiocese of Austin, but most of the other 50 states, the United States, a lot of other countries, and a whole slew of occupations, diseases and other patronages. That's a lot of prayers to be answering.

Maybe Texas, being such a big state, should have a saint that's a little less busy. Not that Mary isn't a great saint but we could chose a new patron saint that's got more time on their hands and has qualifications related to our own special needs here in Texas. So here are a few of my suggestions for an alternate patron saint for Texas:

Heribert of Cologne, also known as Herbert, the patron saint against draughts. (Actually he is one of many saints against draughts but I figured most Texans could pronounce Herbert, unlike Catald, Godeberta, Solange, Swithun and Trophimus of Arles, the other saints against draughts). We sure could use some help in the rain department here in Texas and it sounds like Herbert might just be the one to pray to for help.

Honorius of Amiens, the patron saint of oil refiners? That might make a lot of people in the oil industry happy.

Brigid of Ireland is the patron saint of cattle, which might sound like a good idea, but knowing how xenophobic some Texans can be when it comes right down to it, a saint from Ireland might not be such a good idea.

Benedict patron saint against nettle rash is another possibility. I am sure that's a big problem here in Texas!

Too bad there's no patron saint of football or we could have had a humdinger of a candidate there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
web site visitor counter
DVD Rental Sites