Life is a Bumpy Road

Austin, Texas. Travel in Texas. Life in General. "Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - - -Dylan Thomas

My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

I am an esteemed alumni of Austin College in Sherman Texas (Class of "none of your business"). I graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts as a History Major. Subsequently, I have worked in the human services field since graduation because there aren't too many jobs out there for history majors. Except for my short incarceration in Sherman, I have always lived in Austin, Texas. That's not totally true, I was born in England and lived there approximately 18 months, but for some strange reason I don't remember living there. I travel through out Texas for my job, every week. So beware Texans, I might be coming to a town near you!! I am happily married to a wonderful guy and have 0 (zero, zilch) children. (We just forgot to have them?) I find life amusing now (I used to find it extremely depressing but that's another story). So here's to Life, which after all can be a very bumpy road!

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." -Albert Einstein

Friday, March 03, 2006

Walmart = Wasteful


This week I am in Alvin Texas, childhood home of Nolan Ryan. It's not that small anymore. I can remember driving through Alvin several years ago and there was hardly anything there, but now it has grown into quite a town. It was busy and full of life. Since it is not that far from Houston, I am sure it is full of people who work in the city and live in Alvin. But it still maintains a rural atmosphere with lots of farms and livestock along the way. We stayed in a hotel in Houston and drove to Alvin everyday so I got to see alot of the scenery in between. There are miniature horses in a field along the road to Alvin that are as cute as can be and a lot of small farms with cows and horses and sheep. Alvin is smaller by far than it's neighbor Pearland which is the home of the fighting oilers. Pearland has a huge new highschool with of course a football stadium. It appears that their mascot is an oil derrick. Hmmmmm?
Pearland seemed like a fairly nice town as well. Lots of new homes being built and a lot of businesses including a brand new Super Walmart. They built it right across the street from the old Walmart, which is now standing closed and abandoned. I don't really like Walmart. Their buildings are huge, ugly and surrounded by acres of asphalt parking lot. But mostly they are wasteful and inconsiderate!! Walmart insists on building brand new buildings to enlarge their stores and leaving a shell of a big box store standing empty nearby. Can't they just add on to the old one? They refuse to provide benefits for their employees, keeping them working just below full time status at minimum wage. As far as I can see Walmart is a good example of what is wrong with our economy and our country. They have no heart and soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
web site visitor counter
DVD Rental Sites