Life is a Bumpy Road

Austin, Texas. Travel in Texas. Life in General. "Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - - -Dylan Thomas

My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

I am an esteemed alumni of Austin College in Sherman Texas (Class of "none of your business"). I graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts as a History Major. Subsequently, I have worked in the human services field since graduation because there aren't too many jobs out there for history majors. Except for my short incarceration in Sherman, I have always lived in Austin, Texas. That's not totally true, I was born in England and lived there approximately 18 months, but for some strange reason I don't remember living there. I travel through out Texas for my job, every week. So beware Texans, I might be coming to a town near you!! I am happily married to a wonderful guy and have 0 (zero, zilch) children. (We just forgot to have them?) I find life amusing now (I used to find it extremely depressing but that's another story). So here's to Life, which after all can be a very bumpy road!

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." -Albert Einstein

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Coffee Shops...they aren't for kids

It's another lazy Sunday. It's raining here and that makes the day seem even lazier since no one wants to hang outside in the rain. As usual we have headed to our favorite morning hang out, the local coffee shop where we read the paper and cruise the internet while people watching.
On Sundays at the coffee shop you get to see a mixture of people. Some are ready for church, all dressed up . Some are dressed for running (even on a rainy day). And some are like us, dressed in casual clothes, leisurely reading the paper while they sip on their coffee.
Then there are the families. Sometimes it's mom and dad and the kids, or mom alone with the kids or mom and her friends with all of their kids. However they arrive, one thing they have in common is that the kids are bored. I really wonder why parents want to bring their kids to a coffee shop. Coffee is generally an adult drink, ergo the shops themselves are designed for adults not children. There is nothing kid friendly in most coffee shops. They don't have toys or games for kids. There are no "happy meals" being served. In fact a coffee shop is one of the worst places to feed a kid. All they have for kids to eat and drink is stuff loaded with sugar like cinammon rolls, cookies, and hot chocolate....which the kids manage to spill or wipe all over the tables and floors. Then when the sugar kicks in, the kids get all fidgety. Might as well give the kids an espresso and let the fun begin. Allright, I admit not all children are ill mannered in coffee shops. The majority I have seen are well behaved. But still, I wonder, wouldn't they rather be at McDonalds?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
web site visitor counter
DVD Rental Sites