Life is a Bumpy Road

Austin, Texas. Travel in Texas. Life in General. "Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - - -Dylan Thomas

My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

I am an esteemed alumni of Austin College in Sherman Texas (Class of "none of your business"). I graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts as a History Major. Subsequently, I have worked in the human services field since graduation because there aren't too many jobs out there for history majors. Except for my short incarceration in Sherman, I have always lived in Austin, Texas. That's not totally true, I was born in England and lived there approximately 18 months, but for some strange reason I don't remember living there. I travel through out Texas for my job, every week. So beware Texans, I might be coming to a town near you!! I am happily married to a wonderful guy and have 0 (zero, zilch) children. (We just forgot to have them?) I find life amusing now (I used to find it extremely depressing but that's another story). So here's to Life, which after all can be a very bumpy road!

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." -Albert Einstein

Friday, March 10, 2006

Theft in the Work Place: Is it becoming more common?

Lately I have been hearing more and more stories about theft in the work place. I don't mean theft by a stranger who happens to wander in to your work place, but theft by co-workers who often times have easy access to valuable personal information and possessions.
A co-worker of one of my friends was the victim of identity theft by his office mate, who casually stole his social security number and a credit card number then proceeded to open fraudulent accounts. The victim obviously thought he could trust his co-worker and left this valuable information laying around the office or open on his computer. How many times do we just step out for a minute from our offices or cubicles, leaving purses out, computers on and logged in, all sorts of valuable information in the open and easy access for someone to swipe? We generally don't think that someone we work with closely 5 days a week for 8 hours a day would steal from us. But they do!!
Another person I heard about recently, had their laptop stolen right out of their office at work. It belonged to the company they work for and was plugged in and being used at the time. The person just happened to step out of their office for a minute and when they came back, the lap top was gone! No one saw anything suspicious because people are always going in and out with laptop bags. It could have been anyone that took the laptop.
Unfortunately it is becoming more and more common for these types of thefts to occur in the work place. I started searching the web and found a few links that might be helpful in securing the workplace from theft. The first link is a quiz (very short) to find out how security savvy you really are. The second link is to a blog entry by Marc Orchant about identity theft and how to prevent it. And the third link is an article about how to secure your laptop while traveling. All of them seemed to have some very practical, good suggestions on how to keep you valuables safe.

Theft in the Work Place: What is your theft prevention IQ?
Identity Theft is No Joke
Security of Laptops

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
web site visitor counter
DVD Rental Sites