Life is a Bumpy Road

Austin, Texas. Travel in Texas. Life in General. "Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - - -Dylan Thomas

My Photo
Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

I am an esteemed alumni of Austin College in Sherman Texas (Class of "none of your business"). I graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts as a History Major. Subsequently, I have worked in the human services field since graduation because there aren't too many jobs out there for history majors. Except for my short incarceration in Sherman, I have always lived in Austin, Texas. That's not totally true, I was born in England and lived there approximately 18 months, but for some strange reason I don't remember living there. I travel through out Texas for my job, every week. So beware Texans, I might be coming to a town near you!! I am happily married to a wonderful guy and have 0 (zero, zilch) children. (We just forgot to have them?) I find life amusing now (I used to find it extremely depressing but that's another story). So here's to Life, which after all can be a very bumpy road!

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." -Albert Einstein

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Victory for the Dogs!


As you know if you have been reading my blog (which according to my stats on Austin Bloggers You HAVE NOT!!) I am very interested in the outcome of the initiative to change the current city health department rule that dogs are not allowed on the patios of restaurants or bars in Austin. Well the city council met yesterday and voted 6-1 to allow local restaurants in Austin to decide if they will allow dogs on their patios!!! HURRAH!!!
The only dissenting vote was council member Danny Thomas. He said he "can't support the dogs"??? I have a feeling I won't be voting for him next time around! Anyway, the new measure will take effect in 10 days. Of course there are some stipulations like: the dogs have to be on a leash (ok we can live with that). The dogs cannot sit in chairs (reasonable enough) or get on tables or on countertops (???). I am not sure what kind of owner will put their pooch on the table or countertops but I guess there are a few out there. Restaurants who allow dogs on their patios will not be able to cook or prepare food in their outdoor areas.
The restaurants will be posting a sign if they do or do not allow owners to bring their pets onto their patios. The City Health inspectors will no longer deduct a point from their health inspections of restaurants who allow dogs, as long as they follow the rules. Yes!!
Two people showed up to speak to the council in opposition of the proposal noting that it is unfair for restaurants to have to clean up after dogs on their patios (that is why it is up to the individual restaurants get to decide) and that they were leery of wait persons petting dogs then handling their utensils (better that than having them cough and sneeze all over their hands and then handle utensils!).
A BIG THANK YOU TO Council Members Jennifer Kim and Lee Leffingwell for initiating and supporting this measure! Austin can now redeem some of it's laid back, easy going status that it was always known for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
web site visitor counter
DVD Rental Sites